Saturday 18 April 2015

Artastic, Scrap Africa, Lets get sketchy

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiE-56mekJSQ18xPwfqa9yNto4VXwvfYpDPyXkIpYqu6mLM3kkuQU1Qat48Bwlj0gFPCgAxio3VzjDmIFivysDASfantA_oltwSCOOacbryJrAK3NNv_sh8IDsEwNKIhZQDdEdhLAl0moYA/s1600/Pencil+Challenge.jpg
April inspiration by Roy de Maistre called Frozen Music
 
My initial inspiration for this piece came from a combination of the challenge over at Artastic - using the inspiration piece shown above (Frozen music by Roy de Maistre) the challenge requires using swirls, and the challenge over at Scrap Africa which requires using a pencil and suggests some amazing ways to do so in the article above.

I decided not to be quite so creative and follow the inspiration picture by hand drawing some swirls in pencil. I later went back over them in felt tip pen as they were not so visible after painting!

I then went searching to find some papers which matched my swirled background and came up with these three journalling cards. I decided that I would tell a funny story I have been meaning to journal for some time.

Afew years ago my daughters trained at a local gymnastics club with a group of very talented children. One in particular was very much a perfectionist, trained alot of hours and was particularly successful. My daughter, Aelira was a couple of years younger and clearly envied and looked upto this girl. She would always come home and tell me that her and the other girl were the best of friends, did everything together, and how much the other girl disliked my other daughter, Michelle.

Afew years later, I was talking to one of the other parents about the friendships and strains within the group and was told by the other parent that Aelira and her "best friend" had never gotten along. I dont think so, I said  - I think you mean she doesnt get along with Michelle??

Later on I asked the girls about the story, and the truth came out. Aelira had pretended to be best friends with the girl for years, but the girl found her annoying.... but she got along with Michelle quite well. The conversation went something like this:

Aelira: Well, I wanted to be friends with her because she is so pretty, but she just thought I was annoying....

Me: Aelira, you are just as pretty as her

Aelira: No Im not

Michelle: Well, Im way prettier....

This little conversation gave me a good laugh and I wanted to record it, its a good little insight into their personalities.

I decided to use a sketch from Lets Get Sketchy, but swap the 3 photos for the 3 journalling cards. I keeping with the other challenges I also added some prima fussy cut embellishments which looked hand drawn with pencil, and some cut out pencils and some extra doodling.

23 comments:

  1. Love all the journalling and background work. Thanks for joining us at LGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been awhile since I last used pencil on my projects. Thanks for reminding me! Awesome take on LGS sketch by the way. Thanks for joining us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vibrant backgroud...thanks for joining us on LGS:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very creative background and a great take on this month's challenge. Fabulous page. Thanks for joining in with us at ARTastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the journalling and story behind!! Clever background! Thanks for joining our challenge at LGS :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great take on the sketch ! Thank you for joining us at LGS !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bright, fun layout and I love those swirls. Thank you for playing along with this month's challenge at ARTastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful page!! Thanks for playing at LGS :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaaah...girls and their 'friendships', eh??!!! Thank goodness I had boys. They'd have a punch up and then be best mates two seconds later!!! ANYWAYS.....brill take on our ARTastic challenge....loving your 'pencil' work!!! It's a fabulous bg that you've come up:):) Thanks for playing along this month:):)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so much fun & unique!! I absolutely love it!! Thank you for sharing it with us at LGS:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great & fun page! I love your background work! Thank you for playing with us @LGS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning page!!!
    Thanks for playing with us at Scrap Africa!!!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very creative and I love your take on the sketch. Thanks for playing along with us at Let's Get Sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like all the journaling on the page. Thanks for playing at Let's Get Sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your swirly background. It really pops with the purple and yellow. Great journalling and story. Thank you for sharing at artastic . Cheers. Di.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've done a great job on this very creative page for two of my favourite challenge sites :) Thanks for joining at ARTastic and Scrap Africa :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the story and your journaling! So cute. Awesome layout. Thank you for playing at Scrap Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful take on the sketch, thanks so much for joining us at LGS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great work :) thanks for playing with us at Scrap Africa :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great page, love all the journaling! Thanks for joining us at LGS :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Vibrant and fun page...love the pencil work, swirls and colouring! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Scrap Africa! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So bright & colorful! I love the vibrant colors! Thank you so much for sharing and playing along with us at Scrap Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea! Love it!
    Thank you for joining the Scrap Africa Pencil Challenge!

    ReplyDelete