Sunday 14 April 2013

Scrap your story challenge 7 - from out of the darkness


I created this layout using the sketch at Scrap your story as inspiration (It no longer looks too similar haha). Its not the prettiest layout but Im happy with the way it conveys my memories of the city. Starting with the sketch I looked for two photos that could be cut to size, and came up with these pictures of checkpoint charlie in Berlin. From there I used the sketch and my stash to try to portray my feelings on Berlin. I really loved this city, and did alot of tours to hear the history. I think its amazing how a place so recently walled in from the outside world and so devastated by war has come out the other side so alive and vibrant. You can find tunnels and bunkers underneath trendy cafes and I wanted to convey that vibe in my layout. I used greys and browns to represent the war,  the border to represent the wall and the green and leaf to represent the new life evident in the city. I replaced the circles in the sketch with squares and ink blots.

The sketch is shown below:

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow how cool is that. Love the story behind the layout. Cool photos and great layout. Awesome with the paint runs. Thanks for playing along at SYS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love the story behind this layout! I also like the layout! :-) Thanks for playing along with us at Scrap Your Story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done and great story!!!
    Thanks for playing along at SYS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the story..I would love to visit there. When you think back, it must have been terrible living there at that time...some with families separated by a wall...cruel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowzers. The story comes through, I "knew" before reading the description what you were trying to convey. You've done a beautiful job, thanks for joining us again at Scrap Your Story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can still totally see that sketch in there! Wonderful job! :) :) Thanks for joining us at Scrap Your Story!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete